These wonderful gardens were founded in 1795 by the Royal Dublin Society “to promote scientific knowledge in the various branches of agriculture”. They are internationally renowned, and justly famous for the Turner curvilinear glasshouses, which have been beautifully restored.
Over 17,000 different species and cultivars grow in the 20-hectare site, including 400 rare and endangered species as part of Glasnevin’s important conservation work. The herbarium has many thousands of dried and pressed plants, the oldest dating from 1661, and this reference collection is historically and scientifically important. Visitor centre, guided tours, audio downloads.
For more information: